Read Aloud To Children

This blog was created to post reviews for my Children's and Young Adult Literature Class (LS-5603) at Texas Woman's University, where I am currently pursuing a Master's Degree in Library Science.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Giver-- CD AUDIO BOOK


1. BIBLIOGRAPHIC DATA

The Giver

Written by Lois Lowry

Perfomed by Ron Rifkin

Publisher: Listening Library

Publication Date: February 27, 2001

ISBN: 080726203X

2. PLOT SUMMARY

Twelve year old Jonas lives in what many would consider to be a "perfect" world. His community has no crime, sickness, everyone has a job, and all are happy. However, when Jonas is chosen to be the community's next Receiver of Memories, he learns what all has been kept from him in his sheltered world. As he struggles to deal with all he is learning, Jonas must decide if he wants to consider living in a world where there is no color, holidays, or even snow. Once Jonas learns what it means for a community member to be released, he decides to take a risk and break free of the only world he has ever known.

3. CRITICAL ANALYSIS

First of all, I have always been a big fan of audio books, and I must say this is one of the best readings/performances that I have ever listened to. Ron Rifkin's voice clearly defined each character, and I had no trouble visualizing what was happening in the story. I also loved the use of music as the story was told. The musical interludes were perfect to set an ominous tone for the mysterious setting of the story. Also, the music was light and happy as Jonas received happy memories. The music really help set the mood of the entire novel. I enjoyed listening to this story.

Lois Lowry is a gifted writer, and it is easy to see why she has two Newberry Awards. Her style is simple yet she is able to convey deep meaning in her word choices. She creates a story that is fast paced and hard to quit reading (or listening to) until you have finished the story. THE GIVER certainly was like that for me. I would listen to the story as I drove to and from work, and found myself so into the story, that I often missed my exit more than once! That's a powerful story! The plot was believalbe, and I found myself beginning to wonder if communites like this existed somewhere! As I listened to the story, I found myself pondering many of the book's "big picture" questions. Would it really be a good thing to live in a society where your destiny has already been determined? How would individuals be different if they never experienced pure joy and happiness. This novel would be an awesome one to use with a book club becasue there are so many questions the plot raises in its readers/listeners.

The characters in this story are very believable and well suited for its plot. As Jonas struggled to accept his assignment, I was sympathetic to the issures he faced. My heart ached when Jonas was devasted to learn what it meant when his father "released" a child--"Jonas felt a ripping sensation inside himself, the feeling of terrible pain clawing its way forward to emerge in a cry." Equally believable was The Giver, and I could picture how exhausted this man was from struggling to keep the memories for the community while dealing with his daughter's decision to be released from being the new Memory Keeper. I also saw how caring The Giver was by allowing Jonas to escape and his willingness to stay behind to care for the community that would struggle with Jonas' disappearance.

Lowry's description of the community suited the plot well. I could picture the colorless, drab world (Something that is hard to imagine!) these characters lived in. The style in which this story was told was well suited to its plot also. Having the characters speak such "perfect" language again allowed me to get a true picture of this strange society in which these people lived--how exact and perfect it all had to be for its citizens.

As stated earlier, this novel is full of thought provoking questions that would make an ideal discussion for a literature group. I would use this novel with a group of high readers, and give them plenty of opportunity to discuss and comment on what they read. It would be interested to get many perspectives on this novel, and how they would deal with living in this perfect society.

4. REVIEW EXCERPTS:

From School Library Journal--"This tightly plotted story and its believable characters will stay with readers for a long time."
From AudioFile--"His (Rifkin) voice for the Giver becomes increasingly weary and strained while Jonas' gains strength. Sharing this audiobook in a family or classroom offers a valuable opportunity to respond to and discuss Lowry's moving novel."

5. CONNECTIONS:

*Lowry's descriptions of Jonas' ability to see colors are wonderful. Think about how you could describe the color red to someone who has never been able to see the color before. Write down your description. Does it truly capture the color?
*Finish the story by writng a conversation Jonas might have with the first people he sees when he arrives at his new community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home